I love rice! Plain and simple I think it’s a great staple to have in the cupboard. Cheap, easy and quick to cook, nearly everyone likes it and it’s a good clean complex carbohydrate to have in your active lifestyle.
But it can get boring and bland if you eat a lot of it. So I try and make it more interesting and fun using the below recipe. In typical Lifestylejeanie style I never measure anything and just make it up as I go along but I’ll give you the approximate ingredients here. Feel free to add in any other veggies, spices, or oils you typically use. But the recipe here has been created to include as many healing foods as possible.
We all tend to get run down from time to time and so this is a particularly good staple to make weekly and keep in the fridge to add (hot or cold – just reheat thoroughly) to any meal. All the ingredients are packed full of healing properties particularly the turmeric, ginger, garlic and coconut oil. I’ve described these in more details below.
It’s also great on the go. I typically travel with this as it’s perfect at room temperature and stays fresh for well over 12 hours when you’re on the move. It is also filling and tasty. What’s not to like!
- Portion size of Rice of your choice. I find Basmati and Wild rice are best.
- Large handful of organic Spinach
- Chopped organic Peppers
- Chopped organic Onions
- 2 cloves (or more!) or diced organic Garlic
- 1 inch of peeled and diced organic Ginger
- 1 inch of Turmeric (powdered or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika3 heaped spoons of organic Coconut Oil
- Cracked Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Cracked black Pepper to taste
- Cook the rice as per instructions on your packet.
- While it is cooking prep all the veg and spices.
- Drain the water once it is cooked and leave in the pan on a low heat.
- Add in the Coconut Oil and stir to melt it, coating the rice thoroughly.
- In a separate pan with a dash of oil cook the onions, garlic, ginger and turmeric.
- Add in the chopped vegetables and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Add the rice to the veggies and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Gluten Free
- Wheat Free
- Sugar Free
- Full of healthy vegetables
- Garlic is antibacterial and antiviral so excellent for fighting colds and flu.
- Ginger is good for digestion issues, nausea, natural anti-inflammatory and boosts the immune system.
Paprika is high in Vitamin A, E and Iron. It also has anti ageing properties, prevents hair loss and promotes sound sleep.
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory with amazing healing and cancer fighting benefits.
Coconut oil is a healthy fat that doesn’t degenerate at high temperatures, heals the lining of the stomach and overall boosts your immunity.
Himalayan Pink Salt has over 84 vitamins and minerals and is low in sodium. Read more about the benefits of it here in this article I wrote.
- This really is so versatile. It is a lovely side with any main dish, meat, fish, omelette etc.
- I recently brought a big bowl of it to a BBQ as a healthy side.
- It’s colourful and appealing in a cold buffet.
- I make a big batch and store it in the fridge to have at a moments notice.
- You can also add some protein in to make it a complete meal. Some chopped left over meat an/or some eggs to make it egg friend rice. It is really tasty. Or even nicer some fresh organic prawns! Yum
- I keep this in a covered bowl or container for up to a week in the fridge.
- It also travels well for up to 24 hours.
- When reheating ensure it is thoroughly cooked through.
So there you have it guys, cheap, healthy, suits most diets and boosts your overall health. And to boot it tastes delicious!