This week’s change has so many benefits I don’t even know where to begin! It might sound crazy me telling you to just breathe as part of your weekly change but the importance of breathing, and correct breathing at that, can really change how you feel and how your body works.
You need your breath for life itself, like the beating of your heart, it is so important your body just does it for you, unprompted. This is a testimony to just how important it is. Without having to think about it, you breathe!
If any of you have been lucky enough to ever attend a yoga class you will be familiar with that ‘Yoga Stoned’ feeling at the end where you just float out of the class. Why is this? Why is it so different from other fitness classes? Well for the one you focused on correct breathing for the entire class and so your body, mind and soul leaves in tip-top condition!
This week’s change will only take 10 minutes a day and is best done first thing in the morning. However, it is beneficial at any time and can even be done on your lunch break or right before bed.
It is fantastic for anyone who suffers from anxiety, stress, depression and many other physical illnesses. It can really help if you suffer from allergies or congestion on a regular basis and is excellent for sinus or migraine sufferers.
So how do you do this wonderful breathing technique? Check out this simple and informative video.
Ever wondered about Pranayama – breathing techniques to help you through tough times? Here’s one to try.
Anuloma Viloma or alternate nostril breathing.
The benefits of this Pranayama are vast and I would recommend doing this daily. It will change your life!
Benefits can include:
– Increases your lung capacity
– Soothe your sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight)
– Stimulate your parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest)
– Relieve tension, anxiety and stress
– Helps to oxygenate your system allowing for overall better function of your body and mind
– Balances the right and left hemispheres of the brain (Balances your logical/analytical brain with your creative brain. Hustle and flow!)
– Prepares you for meditation
– Balances the flow of Prana (life force energy) in the nadis (meridians or energy channels in the body)
– Deep breathing is like an internal stretch for the body. The lungs will be contracted and expanded by the diaphragm which in turn will massage the internal organs and increase the flow of oxygenated blood to your organs.
How to?: follow the instructions in this video.
Sit tall and comfortably. Relax the shoulders. Soften the face and hands (this video has helped me notice how much tension I hold in my baby finger!). Practice for at least 5 s
rounds daily. Ideally morning but any time that suits.
Now I really don’t think you need any more convincing than that! This will really help you in almost every aspect of your life. It may take some time to get used to and you will have to be dedicated to setting aside the time to do it each day but once you start I just know you’ll love it and reap all the rewards!